donate logo

Glass Lovers Glass Database Banner
Help keep the database free, Buy from Amazon or donate today !!         Gallery Login ----------->

Back to Database

Database Login

Glass Lovers Glass Database Home Button

About Glass Lovers Glass Database

Glass Lovers Glass Database Glass Company List

Glass Lovers Glass Database Glass Pattern Index

Glass Lovers Glass Database Forum

Marks on Glass

Videos on Vintage and Antique Glass, Glassmaking, Etc.

Glass Blogs on Antique & Vintage Glassware

Library Thing
(Where we share books)

Join us on Facebook

facebook badge
Promote Your Page Too

Tiffin Glass Company
Tiffin Glass Company Patterns (gallery images)

July 1888 A. J. Beatty and Sons glass factory of Steubenville, Ohio, announces it will be relocating to Tiffin, Ohio.
January 1, 1892 A. J. Beatty and Sons merges with the United States Glass Company, becomes Factory R
May 23, 1893 Factory R is destroyed by fire
Early 1900's
Gradual shift from pressed to blown tableware; the USG gold-colored shield paper label is added. Commericial ware is marketed under the US Glass name until Sept. 1927. After that, household goods are identified by a gold paper label with Tiffin superimposed on a large "T" within a shield.
1930's Great Depression
Tiffin/Factory R survives the depression and in 1938 the offices of the US Glass Co. transfer from Pittsburgh to Tiffin with C.W. Carlson as President. By 1940, all glassware is marked with a Tiffin label but the official company name stayed US Glass through 1962.
Focus is crystal stemware but new modern lines are added such as Swedish Modern aka Tiffin Modern (pattern name changed in May 1946). Tiffin Modern free-form designs continued into the 1960's.
Duncan and Miller Glass Co. moulds and equipment are acquired to be made at both the Tiffin and Glassport factories until the companies closing in 1980.
Tiffin is sold to a NY investment firm only to be sold again March of 1961 to Brilhart Plastics Corp.
Brilhart's US Glass Co. goes bankrupt though the factory remains open until early 1963.
Four former employees - Paul Williams, C. W. Carlson Jr., Ellsworth Beebe, and Bea Platt buy the plant and rename the company; Tiffin Art Glass Company and is official May 1, 1963. The start-up date for the new Tiffin venture is September 16, 1963. This transaction marks the end of the United States Glass Company. A great loss was incurred on August 3, 1963, when the Glassport factory is destroyed by a tornado.
Continental Can Co buys US Glass Co. and renames it Tiffin Glass Company, Inc. Stemware is the major focus with blown and pressed ware also manufactured.
December 1968
Interspace buys Tiffin. The 'Franciscan Crystal' label is added in May 1969 to coordinate with their dinnerware lines. Patterns such as; Jubilation, Canterbury II, Flambeau, Revelation, Madeira dn Caberet..
American Manor and Reynolds Crystal were subsidiaries of Interpace Corp., parent company of Tiffin Glass. During this ten-year period, stemware in several new colors was introduced to coordinate with Interpace's Shenango China.
Private distribution lines are made for Sears and Roebuck, Montgomery-Ward, Tiffany's, Macy's, Colony House, Royal Medallion, Nancy Prentiss, American Manor, and Reynolds Crystal.
May 19, 1979 Factory is sold for the last time to Towle Silversmiths and operated as Tiffin Crystal, a division of Towle Silversmiths.
May 1, 1980
Furnaces are shut down for good and facilitates an Outlet Store and Decorating Shop until October 1984. Towle continues to sell Tiffin Glass stemware via mail order, including the popular pattern Palais Versailles thru at least 1990. Moulds are dispersed and Summit Art Glass acquires the Tiffin Shield trademark mould now the property of The Tiffin Glass Collectors Club.

Member Websites

The Estate Sale Store

The Vintage Village

Catisfaction's Glass Gallery

Fran York's Candlewick Look-a-Likes website

Vaseline Glass Collectors Inc.

Ken's Tiara Glass Information Site

Carnival Glass Heaven